Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Dipping My Hands into Stamping Challenges


I thought I'd dip my fingers into some of the stamping challenges I've been seeing some of the other bloggers participate in. I came across the Stamplorations bi-weekly sketch challenge #19 by happenstance and inspiration bubbled over. I also looked through Stamplorations acrylic stamp collections and marveled that I didn't own some of them already (a problem I will have to remedy). They gave this sketch:




I also hopped all over Simon Says Stamp's STAMPtember Stamp-It Challenge and Blog Hop. Inspiration proves essential to creating beautiful, unique cards so thanks to all the designers for sharing their latest creations. I'm going to enter this card into BOTH challenges for a double-whammy - Go me!

I know I've already posted a fall-themed stamped card, but I just had my first Pumpkin Spiced Latte of the season and felt like celebrating! I can't wait for all things pumpkin flavored! (P.S. If you have any good recipes, send them my way.) I even found a couple of colorful leaves in my backyard to add to my photo.

Here's the end result:



MATERIALS:
  • Core'dinations fired brick cardstock
  • White cardstock
  • Photo paper
  • Stampin' Up "French Foliage" stamp set
  • Close to My Heart "Summer's Wave" stamp set
  • Distress Ink - Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, Old Paper, Fired Brick, and Wild Honey
  • Perfect Pearls - Perfect Gold
  • Mini Mister

I started by whipping out my trusty Distress Ink Collection and applying some ink directly to my mat. I wanted the background to scream with rich, fall color, so I used photo paper to give it a nice shiny feel. I spritzed the Distress Inks with water and dipped my paper. Dried, then dipped again to give rich layers. I then added a banner of red leaves using the "Summer's Wave" stamp set and Fired Brick Distress Inks. I spritzed it all with Perfect Gold Perfect Pearls to give it a nice shimmery finish. 


To make the leaves, I stamped my stamps with one color of ink, spritzed with water for a nice watercolor effect and then stamped over it in a darker color without spritzing to get the defined veins, before brushing them with Old Paper Distress Ink. 


I finished the card with a somewhat wistful saying: "A fallen leaf is nothing more than summer's wave goodbye". Oh well - If it means I can drink more pumpkin spiced lattes, I'm in!


13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card! That background is just stunning!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous BG! Love the colors :) thank you for sharing with STAMPlorations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning. You certainly achieved the rich colours as that background is awesome. I love making mine this way too. Love how you have used our sketch too. Thanks so much for playing along at STAMPlorations xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card. I love the depth of color you obtained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those beautiful deep autumn colours! Thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness--drop dead gorgeous creation! Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your colors are so rich and beautiful! This is a fabulous card, Becca! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Becca,
    I have just come across from Greta's Blog and had to have a look at this card
    It is gorgeous, the Bg is so rich and has great depth.
    It certainly catches the eye.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Becca, so glad you are blogging now. You have some great techniques here. Love this card. The background is stunning. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely fall card. I have not made one yet...Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful card! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete